In PE the children have been learning to work as a team with various team challenges. This week the challenge was get the hula hoops around the circle one clockwise the other anticlockwise without letting go of hands. Some of the learning was how to communicate positively and not to get frustrated with people. We did a great job.
We have been learning all the spelling patterns for the long o sound. Check out our rhymes we made up to help us learn the different spelling patterns.
We have been participating in Performing Arts with Gracie. Gracie is extremely creative with what she is teaching us. This week we had to get into groups and create different objects and animals in a limited time span. It was heaps of fun. See if you can figure out the objects and animals we created in the photos. Another part were with a buddy one of us was a puppeteer the other person was the puppet and we had to mold them into the action Gracie told us. Take a look at the photos below and see if you can guess what we are doing and creating.
We decided the Kakariki would best suit us being cheeky, chatty Parakeets, beautiful in colour and song.
We made Bull Roarers which are originally from Australia. They were used in the outbacks of Australia by the Aborigines to communicate to other tribes by spinning them over their heads.
We have been on a self discovery journey learning about fractions using materials. We are finding out what fractions are and how they work.
Firstly we wrote what we knew about fractions.
Then we played with fraction blocks to see what we could discover.
We have been learning about different materials. One of our investigations has been testing different types of paper to discover which was the most absorbent to the least.
First we made a prediction on ranking the papers from most absorbent to the least. Next we discussed what a fair test is to help us set up our investigation. After that we wrote up our method of how we were going to run our investigation, we ensured everything we did had to be the same for every piece of paper for it to be a fair test.
We then cut the pieces of paper all the same size, some of us found it challenging, but we all got there in the end.
This is us cutting our paper.
After we had cut our paper we got a beaker of coloured water. Then we put each strip of paper touching the bottom for 2 minutes. When we took the paper out of the water, we measured how far the water had risen up the strip of paper.
This is us testing the paper.
Most of our results were similar to each other. We discovered our predictions were different to our results.
We learnt it is important to follow the method exactly as it is written or it is not a fair test.
Written by Alex, Charlee, Isabella, Ciaran, Ashlee, Olivia, Michael, Daniel, and Anna.
Every Friday we do problem solving math relating to what we have been working on during the week.
Your Mathematical geniuses are working on division problems. They are encouraged to represent their understanding by ‘show me don’t tell me’.
The Story of Matariki
We have been learning about myths and legends this term. To tie in with Matariki we focused on retelling the story by creating all the characters using as many natural resources as we could.
Below is the completed display.
The Year 3 students helped to teach the Year 5 and 6 students how to make Matariki stars out of harakeke (flax).
We had a visitor in our class he was all the way from Doha. His name was Flat Stanley. We were given the task to have some adventures with Flat Stanley.
This is Flat Stanley!
We decided we would teach Flat Stanley how to make Matariki stars out of harakeke (flax) and tell him the story of Matariki.
We took Flat Stanley out to help us cut harakeke. Flat Stanley helped us strip the flax and weave the stars.
The photos below show us with Flat Stanley weaving our stars.
We have been learning how to write and give instructions. Firstly we watched a you tube clip on how to make a paper helicopter. We then wrote instructions on how to make the helicopter for a year 4 student to follow. From this exercise we discovered written instructions alone were not adequate. Therefore we discussed how we could improve by drawing diagrams along with the instructions, draw pictures/diagrams only and making a movie with oral instructions. We have broken up into teams and trying out which set of instructions are most successful You will have to wait for the outcome but this is how our written instructions worked out or not!!